Sunday, August 17, 2008

Vacation Day 8 - Family Reunion

Today turned out pretty good! We drove up to Dallas, Oregon for the family reunion. Dallas is a cute little city and the park we went to was really nice.

We stopped at Safeway to pick up some chicken and salads because it was a potluck situation but none of us wanted to cook anything. Actually Gary tried making some deviled eggs, but he didn't have his usual ingredients so they turned out REALLY garlicky! Dale loved them, but we all decided they were best left at home.

So we got to the reunion and I didn't recognize a soul except for my grandma. So we met a LOT of fairly distant relatives. Later on, my grandpa showed up (he had gone to church) along with my Uncle Bob and my cousin Nikki and her family. It was great to see them, but didn't have a lot of chances to really talk to them. We will be seeing grandma and grandpa and Bob in the next couple of days anyway.

Everyone we talked to asked where in Canada we were from, and when we told them, most of them asked where that was in relation to the states. That's a valid question...we answered "above Montana".......then LOTS of them asked if Saskatchewan (most couldn't pronounce it hahah) was near Vancouver OR if it was near Toronto. HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! When we told them that THEY are closer to Vancouver than we are, they all got completely confused. I kind of wish we brought a map. Americans are SO bad when it comes to geography! (Sorry Americans!)

I guess I shouldn't generalize. Some of the people there had actually BEEN to Saskatchewan. One lady actually lived in Biggar, Saskatchewan for a while. And another couple has been to more provinces than I have. But for the most part, they were completely clueless.

Anyway, after this reunion broke up, we drove home and I CRASHED! I had to take a nap. Somehow talking to people I don't know was far more exhausting than our hike to the top of the waterfall the other day. I mean, don't get me wrong, I had a pretty good time at the reunion, but at the same time, there is a lot of smiling and nodding to be done and lots of names to remember and that's exhausting to me! So yeah, I took a 2 hour nap, then we took Gary out to a nice pasta dinner to say thank you for showing us around and letting us stay with him. It was a nice time.

Now we are home and I'm about to crash again.

No comments: